Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 760gle turbo diesel
Default cruise control kit

Anybody got the full kit for 760 d24 ?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

They are getting hard to find. Try sending a message to Anders, he might have one.

I have a few bits and pieces, and most of what I have would need to be refurbished also before being usable, but if you can't find a complete kit I might have enough to at least get you part of the way there if you want to put some work in to get the parts back into shape, and chase down (or hand fabricate) the last remaining pieces.

Tom Bryant refurbishes them and might have a set to sell also.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 760gle turbo diesel
Default nearly

Somebody has installed an aftermarket cruise control kit but the control module is missing. I have the stalk, pedal switches and 90% of what's required. If you can let me buy off you the bits you have I might be able to get it working, thanks.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Supporting Member

Glad to sell you whatever pieces I have that would help. As I said many of them are worn and I am almost certain that I do not have enough to put together a complete setup, but it might be enough to help you.

Maybe best if you can tell me what pieces you are needing and I will try to find them. Shoot me a PM if that's easier.

One option that might be worth considering: you may be able to install all the control related pieces of the original Volvo cruise system (control unit, vacuum plumbing and switches, electrical parts etc) but adapt it to control the mechanical parts of the aftermarket cruise setup that you say is on the car now. The mechanical parts of the original Volvo system tend to wear out since they are the same design used on the gas cars and not reinforced to deal with the vibration of the diesel engine. They can be rebuilt with improved materials to last for a good lifespan, but if the mechanical parts of the aftermarket system are still on your car and seem workable, that might be another solution (and perhaps better in some ways than the Volvo parts).

But let me know if you can figure out what pieces you would need.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:17 AM

I know this subject has been posted and debated many times and while some people seem to have various parts etc available, but I'd really be interested in a complete cruise control kit....either original or an aftermarket unit.

My Pinzgauer (it uses a D24Tic motor) is finally finished after 10 years of rebuilding and once all these Covid lockdowns etc are overs I intend to use it for long distance travelling.

Cruise control is a great feature, especially here in Australia, where distances can be vast and in a lot of cases there isn't a lot of traffic around....eg travelling from Adelaide to Perth is about 2500km, with hundreds of kms that are pretty much straight

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2021, 07:25 AM
Supporting Member

Would cruise control in a brick shaped heavy Pinz not be just holding your foot against the floor?

Jokes aside, can you post a photo of what the throttle linkage controls on the top of the fuel injection pump look like on your engine? The D24/T/IC engines use two different control systems depending on what vehicle they are installed in. VW LT applications use a simple throttle lever with a throttle cable running to the pedal. Meanwhile in Volvo car applications, the IP throttle lever is connected to a linkage rod that runs to a round spool that the throttle cable winds around, which provides a more gradual response to accelerator inputs. I am not sure which type of control system the Pinzgauer uses but it's probably one or the other depending who they chose to buy their parts from.

The reason this matters is that the Volvo style cruise control components are designed to work with the latter setup (round spools on top of the IP). The former setup, the simpler configuration seen on the VW LT applications doesn't have a factory cruise system available to my knowledge although if that's what you have, there would be aftermarket systems that could work fine.

Once we know what kind of setup you are starting with we can advise further on options.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:04 AM

Thanks V8volvo.
<Would cruise control in a brick shaped heavy Pinz not be just holding your foot against the floor?>
Haha Yes you would think so, but unfortunately Aussie Highways are mainly limited to 100 or 110 kph ...... and a TD Pinny can do a fair bit faster than that.
....Now an earlier air-cooled petrol Pinny on the other hand

D24T's in the Pinzgauers use the round spool set up.

http://imgur.com/a/euHiwDn

Last edited by Profpinz; 08-11-2021 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

Beautiful looking engine and transmission (and truck frame), is that yours during restoration?

That looks exactly like the spool setup that is used in a 1984 or newer Volvo 740 series. Since that is the case, Volvo 740/760 cruise control parts would definitely be one option for a way to get started on building a system (at least the mechanical pieces might be of use, maybe not so much the electronics)

Here is a good picture of the complete cruise control kit for 82-83 Volvo 7 series diesel from another forum member barkster1971. You would actually need the 1984+ type which is subtly different and not compatible, but this gives a general idea of what all was involved for the Volvo car system. https://www.flickr.com/photos/186009...4/49214974317/

The Volvo cruise systems in that era were generally dealer-installed add on options, not from the factory, so this is how they were sold, as a complete set. The throttle spool stack and bracket on the left side of the picture is the piece that would be potentially useful for a Pinz but everything else I think would take a lot of work to adapt. The Volvo system takes a frequency signal from the Hall effect sensor in the rear differential that feeds the speedometer. Not sure how the speedo works on a Pinz but it may not have such a signal available. Then, the cruise control column switches, relay, control unit brain, electric vacuum pump controlled by the brain, pedal vacuum and electrical switches etc are all designed for the Volvo car... would take work and creativity to install in a Pinz. Not to say it couldn't be done.

Note that the Volvo cruise spools actually are well known for having problems with age and use. The bushings inside the spools and on the shaft suffer radial wear from engine vibration and eventually wear to the point that the spools themselves get damaged or no longer function correctly. Tom Bryant in Maine USA offers a service to rebuild the spools with new Delrin bushings. You might want to contact him for info on that or see if he has any sets available, if you choose to go this route for building a system. Sometimes the tin spring keepers on the bottom of the spools wear or fail also, or the d-profile on the shaft erodes from wear, and when these things happen there's no real way to fix it other than trying to find another complete set which are hen's teeth. There is a risk if you do find a used set that you may discover it's no good.

Below are some photos and a video I took of a cruise assembly set I sent to a member in Europe some years ago that show the function of the system and also show the failure mode of bushing wear, so you can get a better idea. Unfortunately this was the only spare set I had available.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ddrjiDR7qwQtSfXU8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bcx1rVU5yVEqwMKo9

That fellow (forum member "petercz") was apparently able to use these parts along with the electronic pieces salvaged from a completely different type of Volvo, a newer 850 series I believe, and ended up with a good functioning cruise system in a late 80s 760. So no doubt anything is possible with some clever thinking. You could ask him for more details on his configuration.

The way I see it, if I were going about this, there would be two main paths to go down:

1) Try to get hands on an original Volvo D24T cruise control spool stack and vacuum bellows and associated brackets/hardware, use these parts (possibly after refurbishing the bushings etc) to handle the mechanical aspects, and then engineer and assemble an electronic control system, either from OEM junkyard vehicle parts (Volvo or VW/Audi also use similar type system) and/or partial pieces from an aftermarket kit, to operate the mechanical cruise components. This would perhaps be the most elegant, factory-looking solution I suppose, but, it would rely on the difficult to find and failure prone Volvo spool stack assembly.

2) Use a complete aftermarket system without attempting to incorporate the original style Volvo parts. Might be simpler and easier in the end. I think you could hook an auxiliary cable directly onto the main throttle lever, bypassing the spool you have, and it would work well. Probably need to fab some custom brackets etc but it doesn't seem like that would be outside your capabilities.

Here are some typical examples of the kinds of kits available from one of the big US sellers of this type of equipment, probably have similar systems available where you are.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...e-control-kits

Hope that all helps, curious to hear how you decide to go.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:45 PM

Thanks V8volvo for your detailed reply.
Yes that is my Pinzgauer rebuild..... I'II post a few detailed pics if it doesn't break Forum rules. It was a 10 year project....Mind you my previous air-cooled petrol Pinzgauer took 13 years, so I'm getting faster

Some years ago I missed out on purchasing a cruise control drum/spindle unit, and considered machining my own, but emphasis on getting the vehicle finished took priority.
I'm happy to machine, build, fabricate etc but my electronics knowledge is minimal (fortunately I have a friend who is an Electronics Engineer) but I don't want to "redesign the wheel" so to speak on a cruise control system for a D24, so information like you provided is great.

As soon as I thoroughly digest all the info I'm sure I'II have some questions if you don't mind.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:20 AM
Supporting Member

My opinion: There's nothing spectacularly redeeming about the original Volvo CC control equipment (the brains, circuitry, pneumatics, cabling, etc.) that would make me want to repurpose it into another type of vehicle.

And the D24 CC throttle spool is basically unobtanium, and problematical at best.

There must be more simple, compact, less bunglesome, easily adaptable aftermarket systems out there.