D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic
Default Fix for noisey tappets?

As the title states does anyone know of a fix for noisy tappets or is it new tappets and tough luck.

My engine is a 95 so they are hydraulic arent they? I am guessing all the products are a load of rubbish and if their worn their worn.

Noisey tappets drive me wild and sadly good oil has not helped.

Thanks
Mick
Old 02-20-2021, 12:38 AM

Default 940 TIC auto 1995

hi
are you 100% sure the note is just the tappets ,the main culprit on these engines is the vacuum pump i know that as i changed mine eventually , and met other who have too . made a vast difference only mistake was i bought the feb brand which has a slight oil weep now ,wish i had spent the extra and got the genuine PIEBURG as thats original equipment . easy job if its that ,just make sure the cam is at TDC on injection pump it releases pressure on the spring and the plunger goes back the same way as it came out end to end, there are bulletins on it on the internet .as we know these engines renowned for being noisy especially when cold .
Old 02-20-2021, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

As far as ive guessed its tappets. It could well be the pump on closer inspection.

Would i notice a difference if i did a ear test (long stick in ear to hear vibrations in effect) on the pump and surrounding areas? Ive already did the injectors and inlet with no huge difference between.

Mick
Old 02-20-2021, 11:16 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvolvo View Post
Would i notice a difference if i did a ear test (long stick in ear to hear vibrations in effect) on the pump and surrounding areas? Ive already did the injectors and inlet with no huge difference between.
Yes, stick, tubing, mechanic's stetheocope, etc. all a useful tools for this instance.

Vacuum pump should theoretically be a clacking sound 1/2 engine RPM (camshaft speed), may intermittently fade in and out.

Injectors have more of a ringing ping, individually repeating at 1/2 engine RPM.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:26 AM

Default 940 tic auto 1995

i have had good results using a cheap mechanics steterscope, for noise findings on our D24s .its interesting you think the noise might be coming from the pump a which pump injection pump or vacuum pump?
have you tried disconnecting the white 4mm plastic hose at the joint up at the bulkhead near the washer hose Joint . if its the vacuum pump the rattle will stop when this is disconnected , try it a few times ,but dont forget to put it back as
it works the BRAKE master ciylinder . there is a lot of disscusions on the noise vacuum pump ,let us know how you get on .
Old 02-21-2021, 12:28 AM

Default 940 TIC auto 19955

im based in stoke on trent . what part of UK are you in