D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: VW LT40
Default Broken timing belt, is it destroyed? LT40

I just purchased a 92 vw LT40 4x4.
The motor was rebuilt 14k miles ago and the timing belt broke.the previous owner said he just herd a pop and didn’t hear anything else. The belt cover seems loose and maybe it was rubbing. Its a D24T and I Understand that it is an interference motor but has anybody put these back together after a broken belt and have it run again without issues?
How do I check for internal damage?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

If the timing belt broke then internal damage is guaranteed. No question about it, there is no chance of escaping piston and valve collision when this happens. The only question is how bad the damage is.

In these engines it is common for the camshaft to shatter when there is a timing belt failure. That's bad news since the cams are hard to find, but can be good news since the breakage of the cam helps limit impact damage to the bottom half of the engine, kind of like a safety valve effect. Damaged pistons, bent rods and cranks, and other theoretically possible consequences are quite rare. Often you can just repair or replace the cylinder head and get it going again without too much work. So in that sense, yes, you can put one back together after a broken belt and the engine can survive just fine in the long run. But there is no possibility that you'll just be able to put another belt on and have it motor on like nothing happened. Wish we could say otherwise.

If the motor was recently rebuilt and this happened after such a short mileage, that sometimes means the reason for the timing belt failure was not the belt itself, but instead was a slipped crankshaft dampener. This is always the result of an attempt to cut corners by the person who assembled the engine, trying to install it without the necessary locking tools to achieve the extreme high torque called for on the front crankshaft bolt. Unfortunately, if the dampener slips, it can mean worse problems since it sometimes eats up the front of the crankshaft and its keyway, and can make for more sustained piston to valve contact before it finally strips or snaps the timing belt, so the damage to the head and pistons in one of these cases is sometimes more severe.

The first thing to do would probably be to check on the timing belt and see what kind of damage it shows -- clean break or a lot of stripped teeth? Do all parts (water pump, idler, cam and crank) in the belt path turn freely or something seized?

Then see if the cam broke. You can usually tell this even without removing the valve cover by grabbing the front cam sprocket and seeing if it can move in and out axially. Or you can pull off the valve cover and look. If you do that, check for spider cracks in the tops of the lifters also. That will tell you how serious of an impact you're looking at. Finally, once you have the head off, you will measure the protrusion of the piston crowns above the block deck, which will determine if there was any damage to the rods or crank or pistons themselves and tell you whether you need to open up the bottom of the engine or can just fix the head.

Sorry for the bad news, broken timing belts on these engines are not much fun, as many folks here can attest. But the good news is that it's all repairable and the work is not difficult.

You have an LT40 here in the US? How did you get it? Photos?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: VW LT40
Default Broken timing belt

She is in Oregon now. Volkwagen only made 1250 4x4 over 20 years. It took years for me to convince the previous owner to give me a tour of it and when the motor died he didn’t feel like fixing it. I am really looking forward to getting it on the road and found the right place to get the answers. Thanks to everyone who takes time out of their schedule to help!

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbs...rmeyer-mobile/
Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 AM

Vehicle: VOLVO 244 D24 M46

Good afternoon. I from Russia the city of Stalingrad .This is a normal breakdown for CW D24 1G engines everything is restored and after repair works normally. https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zylinderkopf...d/152063524346
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR-75724.jpg (9.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190407_091502.jpg (83.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190530_184909.jpg (456.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190407_085944.jpg (68.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190603_191446.jpg (473.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Looks great! Lime green?

I like the industrial john deer green color a lot too. How you wish later that you did the engine bay cleanup when there was plenty of space
Old 11-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Добрый день. Машина была приобретена поломанной и 4 года стояла без движения.Автомобиль VOLVO 244 D24 M46 J-type родился в марте 1983 года и я старше автомобиля всего на 9 лет и в далёком детстве я видел как дед делает другие автомобили трогаясь со светофора и далеко в заде оставляя преследователей...... но километры и годы берут своё.Жене очень нравиться volvo 244 и встал вопрос о восстановлении !!! После 4 лет подготовки,изучения литературы по ремонту,приобретения необходимых деталей я завёл DEISEL и выхлоп разбудил весь посёлок в котором живу.Дальше ремонт M46 + overdrive это вообще отдельный разговор и в последствии переделанный M46 P-type под механический спидометр и он работает ( проверенно по штрафам за превышение скорости.....медленней не возможно ездить ) дальше рулевая полностью ( насос и рейка ) ,карданная передача, электро оборудование и генератор ,салон разбор и восстановление и самое главное дисковые тормоза по кругу + ручник и всякие мелочи. Старт с места я возьму любого соперника если у него двигатель до 180л.с. Пришлось немного убавить мощность атмосферного deisel ,а то постоянно буксовали колёса на сухом асфальте.
У нас скоро зима и машина и спит до весны.А грязь под капотом это мелочи, кузов обработан антиржавчиной "МОВИЛЬ-НН". Good afternoon. The car was purchased broken and 4 years stood motionless.Car VOLVO 244 D24 M46 J-type was born in March 1983 and I older car just on 9 years and in distant childhood I saw as grandfather makes other cars starting with traffic lights and far in the back leaving persecutors...... but the miles and the years take their toll.Wife really likes the volvo 244 and the question arose about restoring !!! After 4 years training, studying literature on repair, the acquisition of needed details I has marched DEISEL and exhaust has awakened the entire village in which live.Further renovating M46 + overdrive this at all separate conversation and in thereafter remade M46 P-type under mechanical speedometer and he works ( proverenno on fines for speeding.....slower not perhaps touring) further steering fully ( pump and rail ), gimbal transmission of, electro equipment and generator, salon debriefing and recovery and most importantly disk the brake around the circle + handbrake and prevents small beer. Start with seats I pick up any rival if have him engine until 180l. with. Had to a bit turn down capacity atmospheric deisel ,and the constantly skidded wheels on dry asphalt.
We will soon be winter and the car and sleeps until spring.And the dirt under the hood is a trifle, the body is treated with anti-rust "MOVIL-NN".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190611_165432.jpg (386.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by 19misha72; 11-08-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: перевод
Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Good afternoon. The car was purchased broken and 4 years stood motionless.Car VOLVO 244 D24 M46 J-type was born in March 1983 and I older car just on 9 years and in distant childhood I saw as grandfather makes other cars starting with traffic lights and far in the back leaving persecutors...... but the miles and the years take their toll.Wife really likes the volvo 244 and the question arose about restoring !!! After 4 years training, studying literature on repair, the acquisition of needed details I has marched DEISEL and exhaust has awakened the entire village in which live.Further renovating M46 + overdrive this at all separate conversation and in thereafter remade M46 P-type under mechanical speedometer and he works ( proverenno on fines for speeding.....slower not perhaps touring) further steering fully ( pump and rail ), gimbal transmission of, electro equipment and generator, salon debriefing and recovery and most importantly disk the brake around the circle + handbrake and prevents small beer. Start with seats I pick up any rival if have him engine until 180l. with. Had to a bit turn down capacity atmospheric deisel ,and the constantly skidded wheels on dry asphalt.
We will soon be winter and the car and sleeps until spring.And the dirt under the hood is a trifle, the body is treated with anti-rust "MOVIL-NN".
Old 11-09-2019, 11:20 PM

D 24 помогает видеть МИР лучше.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg АЭРОДРОМНАЯ ТЕ .jpg (158.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg МАЗ 500.jpg (236.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ПШЕНИЧНОЕ ПОЛЕ.jpg (303.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 739207.jpg (98.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ЕУ-144.jpg (126.1 KB, 3 views)

Tags
lt40