D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 AM

Vehicle: 245 d24 NA

[QUOTE=casioqv;4227] OTOH sudden loss of oil and/or coolant happen pretty often on D24s and probably sent the majority of the D24s made to the junkyard already and an oil pressure gauge isn't likely to be noticed quickly enough.=QUOTE]

Can you explain ?

never seen that
Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 PM

From what has been said above, it seems like the oil pressure riseswith the rpm. Is this true all th way up the revs? If so, that doesn't sound right to me (I could be wrong).

My understsanding of oil pressure is that you should have a reading at idle, which should then increase as the revs rise, but only to a point, at which it doesn't get any higher.

For e.g. my Mini runs 40psi at idle warm, and by about 2000rpm has 60psi - which stays constant all the way up through tp 6500rpm. My Triumph in fact used to keep rising to nearly 100psi, but that was because there was soemthing wrong with the Pressure Relief Valve - it should only have reached 50-60psi max really.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:48 AM

Vehicle: 245 d24 NA

Thank you.
I understand this part and yes it work like that.
oil pump make volume only
the pressure is built by the gap between parts and regulated by the bypass in the pump or the filter if there is too much of ti or something is clogged.

What i don't understand is the sudden loss of oil or coolant.
never seen that before here and i would like to know how it happens .It seems it happen pretty often according to casioqv
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelovitch View Post
never seen that before here and i would like to know how it happens .It seems it happen pretty often according to casioqv
Sudden loss of oil or coolant can happen on any water cooled internal combustion engine… it's nothing specific to the D24. A hose bursting, boil-over, radiator failure, heater valve failure, or oil to water oil cooler failure can cause sudden coolant loss. Oil cooler failure, and oil pan puncture are likely culprits for sudden oil loss.

In the years I've owned D24s I've experienced *every* event mentioned above at least once, some many times but avoided permanent engine damage with an early warning audible buzzer on the oil pressure, coolant level, and cylinder head temp. I think the coolant level float is most important overall, as this lets you prevent overheating long before it occurs.

D24T coolant hoses are so expensive and short-lived, that I no longer replace them preemptively, as I used to but simply replace them as they fail when altered by my coolant level alarm.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelovitch View Post
Sudden loss of oil or coolant can happen on any water cooled internal combustion engine… it's nothing specific to the D24. A hose bursting, boil-over, radiator failure, heater valve failure, or oil to water oil cooler failure can cause sudden coolant loss. Oil cooler failure, and oil pan puncture are likely culprits for sudden oil loss. While not exactly sudden, extreme blowby from worn rings is also likely a culprit in running out of oil.

In the years I've owned D24s I've experienced *every* event mentioned above at least once, some many times but avoided permanent engine damage with an early warning audible buzzer on the oil pressure, coolant level, and cylinder head temp. I think the coolant level float is most important overall, as this lets you prevent overheating long before it occurs.

I think most D24/D24Ts ultimately are scrapped from either low compression (resulting from non-synthetic oil use), or overheating damage (from not noticing a burst coolant hose in time). By adding a coolant level alarm and using synthetic oil, one can drastically increase the expected lifespan of a D24/D24T, while saving money on maintenance at the same time since these let you safely extend the interval between coolant hose replacements, and oil changes.