D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 05:46 AM

Vehicle: 1985 740 D24
Default D24 NA cooling

I have a few problems with the cooling system in my D24.

I replaced the thermostat with a new Borg warner 87°C thermostat and flushed the coolant out and filled in new coolant. Taking the car for a test drive, it heats up pretty well and fast but the needle stops at around 85°C, maybe 87-ish, pushing the engine a little bit makes the temp go up a bit but its still not up to 90°C. I had the heater on and there was hot air coming out so atleast thats good. I pulled over and the upper coolant hose is hot but the lower hose going from the thermostat to the radiator is cold, i dipped my finger into the expansion tank and the coolant is completely cold. I also feel like there might be air in the cooling system but i cant find any info how to correctly do a coolant change on this engine and if there's a way to get the air out of the cooling system. I have read that the D24 takes roughly 11.5 liters of coolant but I've only put around 8.5 liters in so far and the expansion tank is on max.

Should i go for a longer test drive to really get the engine running under different loads for a longer time?

Also completely unrelated to all this, i need to do an oil change. Does anyone know how much i need to tighten the drain plug on the oil pan?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by bost724; 05-24-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bost724 View Post
I pulled over and the upper coolant hose is hot but the lower hose going from the thermostat to the radiator is cold, i dipped my finger into the expansion tank and the coolant is completely cold. I also feel like there might be air in the cooling system but i cant find any info how to correctly do a coolant change on this engine and if there's a way to get the air out of the cooling system.
That might be a symptom of a clogged radiator but also possible insufficient time or load to create enough engine heat to thoroughly heat up the entire system. How long did you run before you inspected? I suggest you use an infrared non-contact thermometer to collect temperature data at various locations. Upper hose, lower hose, upper radiator, lower radiator, each radiator side, etc.

Purge air by filling the system while the small diameter hose disconnected at the IP cold start device upper nipple. Hold the hose end at the same level as the expansion tank. Reconnect it when coolant starts flowing out.

Quote:
Should i go for a longer test drive to really get the engine running under different loads for a longer time?
Sure.

Quote:
Also completely unrelated to all this, i need to do an oil change. Does anyone know how much i need to tighten the drain plug on the oil pan?
Oil capacity incl. filter is 7L. The drain plug should have a crush washer. Tighten it just enough so you can feel the crush. If it leaks, tighten it a bit more. Not too tight.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:36 PM

Default 940 tic auto 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
That might be a symptom of a clogged radiator but also possible insufficient time or load to create enough engine heat to thoroughly heat up the entire system. How long did you run before you inspected? I suggest you use an infrared non-contact thermometer to collect temperature data at various locations. Upper hose, lower hose, upper radiator, lower radiator, each radiator side, etc.

Purge air by filling the system while the small diameter hose disconnected at the IP cold start device upper nipple. Hold the hose end at the same level as the expansion tank. Reconnect it when coolant starts flowing out.

Sure.

hi i too have just had the coolant changed and as Ngoma says disconnect the short coolant hose at the cold start nipple , on top of the engine ,i have done this many times over the years ,it works and it will clear air from the system run engine for a while while hose is disconnected a catch pan is handy to as shown in the volvo green book!

Oil capacity incl. filter is 7L. The drain plug should have a crush washer. Tighten it just enough so you can feel the crush. If it leaks, tighten it a bit more. Not too tight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
on this subject of oil capacity the volvo green book states this engine requires 6 LITRES of oil inc FILTER, this will show on the dip stick at nearly the very top of the flat area on the dip stick ,correct me these engines do not like to be over filled th oil shoud only be up to the top of the FLAT AREA on dip stick
Old 05-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Supporting Member

My greenbook still states 7L incl. filter. Yours states "6 LITRES of oil inc FILTER?"

P1040854.JPG

There is always some residual oil in the engine after draining.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:02 AM

Default 6 litres or 7 litres ?

hi NGOMA , i did not know my D24 engine takes a litre less than your D24 im sorry, in my book the engine when filled with oil shoud only be to the top of the flat on the dip stick, the flat area represents 1 litre , when your engine is full is it up to the top of the flat area on the dip stick too my friend ?
Old 05-27-2024, 05:45 PM
Supporting Member

I figure when the oil is at the top of the marked area on the dipstick that indicates full. Bottom of the marked area indicates 1L (qt.) low.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:52 AM

Default dip stick oil level

yes thats how i have read it Ngoma , so im thinking your engine takes the same amount of oil as mine 6 litres to the top of the dip stick when full
Old 05-28-2024, 03:53 AM

Default dip stick oil level

sorry the flat on the dip stick is full