View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Ugh so annoying!

I am always afraid of that scenario at the wrong place or time...and honestly, there is no good time for that to happen.

I never took apart the mechanism on mine but maybe I should because my hood doesnt open perfectly either. I learned my little trick how to get it open and now it opens every time (knock on wood...).

I'll try to summarize what I have, it may help you to successfully keep opening yours until you adjust it later.

When I pull the arm (inside the car) that opens the hood, very often (and about fifty percent of the time) only one side of the hood pops up. When that happens, only one side opens up and when I go to the front to lift the hood up, I cant open the hood.
In these cases I used to go back in the car to pull it again then go out again to open the hood but it still would not open.
Sometimes yes it did but most of the time it did not.

The only thing that seems to work 99.9% of the time is that when I know I have to open the hood, I go in the car and grab the arm and pull it all the way up, in one, constant movement. Im not hard on it but not gentle either, it is rather a quick 1-motion short pull, all the way up.
In my case,
The sound of a good pull is different from the sound you would hear if the arm was pulled up by a person who doesnt know this exact wagon car having this problem. So, I always immediately know right after the pull whether or not the pull was successful and the hood is gonna open *both sides* or not.

Important!
In my case, if I end up having only 1 side open by a too gentle pull of the arm, then I positively must close down both sides of the hood, done by hand, manually, by finding the edge on the hood where the "raised edge" of the hood is, right before the drop above the headlights, and both sides right above the ends of my grille on top of the hood. These pounts mist be pushed down pretty strong like you were cracking a walnut by your fist or you were to test-crush a coconut shell lol.
In fact, when this happens, I do the right side then left then right again, to make sure it is seated and down. It comes with a click too.

So THEN, after pushing down the hood at these spots completely, I can go ahead and apply that quick strong pull and I do it all the way up until the highest it can go.
BTW...doing this doesnt require much force in my case..it simply just has to be not sloppy, not too short and not too gentle.

If your arm requires a large amount if force to pull, I would try figuring out other issues first before forcing it up too much or too hard.

Well I hope it helps and that you get it to start soon. Link us to the video. I'd love to see and hear!

PS. Adjusting the rubber mounts in at both front corners helped some, too.

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-15-2019 at 01:35 PM.