View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwaltermoceyhanton View Post
may i ask what you mean by "study the sticky on hard starting"??
is there a thread somewhere on this forum with a checklist of things to check??
Yes, look in the "Diesel Engine and Drivetrain" section.

Quote:
i do not know the specific details about how the compression test was run or its readings
but i will inquire next time i speak to my mechanic
if i have him run a compression test again is there a preferred method?? wet/dry?? how long or little to have the engine sit before testing??
Test dry first, then pour 1/4 teaspoon motor oil in each cylinder, retest "wet," compare. GET THE NUMBERS FOR EACH CYLINDER FOR EACH TEST.
If the engine has been sitting several months or years (looks like may be your case?) the piston rings can dry out and not seal well until oil is introduced to help them seal again. Results in (dry test) low compression.

Quote:
i am very limited in my mechanical skills
the most "advanced" thing i have tackled on this car was replacing the windshield wiper motor myself
i have no real experience under the hood with the exception of checking and maintaining fluids
i hope that is not too blasphemous of me to admit to here on this forum
but i am eager to learn!!
We will try to help as much as possible. WARNING: Major time and effort investment!

Quote:
but the first step has been to have the engine running consistently and smoothly on real diesel first
Yes that is the correct expectation, glad you recognize that!

General Observation: You mention your mechanics. Do they have plenty of experience on these D24 engines? Or (2nd best) on VW diesel engines from the 70s-early 90s? Otherwise, we can almost guarantee they will destroy the engine, lacking the necessary (and getting harder to source) special tools, and equally necessary special knowledge. Sadly, have seen it happen too many times.