View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 1984 240 dl wagon
Default new member in los angeles - desperately needing help please!!

hello friends

my name is jon and i live in los angeles
eleven years ago in february 2010
i bought a 1984 240 dl wagon with manual transmission
it had about 230000 miles on it when i purchased it
it was sold as being "hard starting"
and sadly over the past decade plus i have only been able to drive this sweet ride for significantly less than 5000 total miles
as it has unfortunately been in and out of at least six different volvo mechanics shops all over the greater los angeles area
i have paid for quite a bit of various services to be done on it over the years
but since i got it and even after various repairs is has never started consistently
i have had all the glow plugs replaced multiple times
when i have been able to get it to start it has been prone to overheating regularly
at this point the mechanic whose shop it has been at for over a year now says that the engine either needs to be completely replaced or fully rebuilt
from his testing the compression of the engine is very low
unfortunately he says that after extensive searching he has not been able to find anyone that can rebuild this d24 engine and can not find any full engine replacements available

so i am here desperately looking for any help that you all on this forum might be able to offer??
is there anyone here that lives in los angeles and has diesel volvo experience??
can you all recommend any mechanics in the greater los angeles area that can work on this car??

on a side note:
one dream when purchasing this vehicle was to run it on alternative diesel fuels - biodiesel waste veggie oil straight veggie oil
is there anyone here within the forum who has experience running these d24 engines on alternative fuels??
would that ever even be possible and reliable with this car??

including a few pictures of my beautiful baby attached:
its got a sweet all black on black interior
i really love this car and want to get it back up and running again
its a really sweet ride when it works

thank you all in advance for any help that you can offer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1984 240 dl wagon 1.jpg (913.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1984 240 dl wagon 2.jpg (613.2 KB, 13 views)