View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 12:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethsquatch View Post
The Pinz did come with full service manual that includes step by step on basically everything, not sure if the Volvo book would be different...?
If that is the case, then I wonder why are you encountering so many problems? Five months? Continual conferences with the UK? Unless the Pinz manual has incorrect info or perhaps the mechanic is not following to the letter? (I am not blaming, have no proof of this, but we have to admit it is a possibility.)

This may be an important factor in this situation, as it has been in other similar situations:

For sure, this engine requires a few "oddball" maintenance actions. NOT common in passenger vehicle wrenching. NOT even in less-common diesel engine wrenching. Without direct experience on this particular engine, an otherwise "experienced" mechanic is mightily tempted to "make do" with what logically appears to be a "good enough approximation" that seems like it should work, and that has always worked in the past. Sometimes referred to as "Best Practice."

Look at v8volvo's example above about the required >350 ft. lbs. torque spec for the crankshaft pulley bolt. An "experienced mechanic" has likely never encountered this before, lacks the special tools to achieve this high torque spec, lacks any way to correctly achieve this torque setting, has never had to tighten a bolt that tight ever. ALL the other crank pulley bolts he has done before have never given any problems when he tightened them to far less so why not just "do it up like all the others" here?

But with this engine, the result is almost always guaranteed to be slipped camshaft timing ==> valves/piston impact ==> broken valves/pistons/camshaft/bent rods/bent crankshaft, etc. = destroyed engine. THIS FORUM has several such histories here.

I, for one, am feeling our best timely help is being impeded because of the "Telephone Game" we are dealing with here. Something is getting lost in the translation between your mechanic, thru you, to us, and vice-versa. Might be time for you to request you mechanic enter into this thread directly instead of relying on what you can relay to us, remembering, as you clearly stated in your initial post: "This is obviously not my area of expertise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethsquatch View Post
Also, I'm always happy to donate to sites like this! Just let me know how and when!
Recent post:
How you can support this forum