View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 07:04 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

No doubt your fellow is a good guy, it's just surprising that he would want to get into deep water on this without being sure he could get out. If I were in his shoes, I would not have agreed to take a functional piece of equipment apart until I knew I had all the resources and ability needed to get it back together successfully. That is basic logic even for the do it yourselfer at home, let alone a professional with their reputation and someone else's property at stake.

Anyway not attacking him personally at all, just confused by the decisions.

The Volvo manuals have good clear procedures that will get you a good running engine in the end if you follow them step by step. We don't know what the Pinz books look like, but it sounds like there was a lot of difficulty getting through the timing process, needing to call overseas, etc. Maybe the instructions have been part of the problem.

The Volvo books also will give you the Volvo tool numbers and part numbers in certain places which might help you figure out what equipment you need more easily. Do the Pinz books reference Volvo tool numbers or do they suggest their own versions?

I believe Volvoist also still offers the full set of tools for rent although he is not on here as often. Others have individual tools though mostly not complete sets. If you would like to borrow any tools from me, just send a PM and we'll work it out.