View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM

HELLO- I have 2 1984 D24 powered wagons. One shifts more smoothly than the other (probably an age and wear factor).
Frankly, I prefer using the clutch when going from 4th to OD as if I were shifting a 5-speed w/o overdrive. It is guaranteed smooth and insures a good clean shift, especially if timed correctly.
My OD kinda 'klanked' in on the first wagon purchased. I thus resorted to using the clutch to completely eliminate that issue. Again, there may be some age and wear factors here at 300k! The OD unit may be a bit sluggish due to this. The uni-joints, intermediate bearing, and differential may also be a bit 'loose' and on the worn side.

The second wagon shifts much smoother overall. I have not tried to go from 4th to OD "straight with the button only" to see if it is better than the other one. Bottom line for me is to use the clutch. I'm quite happy with that.
I will be driving this vehicle tomorrow and will post if it is silky smooth or no.

Downshifting is usually with the clutch as well since it enables me to go directly into the lower gear of choice. Going from 4th w/OD into neutral and back to 4th puts you in 4th of course. Same is achieved by merely pressing the button. I use the clutch because many times I want out of OD and want maybe 3rd or even 2nd on the exit ramp (after braking and a bit of a coast). If the light turns green before I reach it my momentum and 2nd gear are usually the ticket.

I lean towards 'kid glove' treatment of my vintage wagons so I can continue to enjoy a great ride and 36 mpg on my daily commute between Tacoma and Seattle.

My '87 automatic gasser shifts into OD quite smoothly going both ways but that is to be expected.

Perhaps someone with a tighter drive train will chime in and offer more thoughts.

Last edited by 84wagon321; 02-12-2013 at 01:21 AM.