View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 11:57 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1975 View Post
...held the pump in a position where the pump gear mark aligns with the mark on the pump frame, then tightened the camshaft gear which left the pump mark aligned with the pump frame mark.
The IP position is not the way to set the IP timing. The marks cannot be used for anything but extremely rough guessing. In fact, we like to have the IP positioned rotated outward from the head, to make future replacing of the rear glowplugs easier.

Couple questions for you:

Quote:
I have set the cam timing the way that cyl 1 has the cam lobes pointing up and in the rear there are 2 notches and I have aligned those with the head surface.
Did you use Volvo tool 5190 with a 0.2mm feeler gauge or similar or did you eyeball it?

Quote:
I measured the pump timing and adjusted it and got the piston travel to 0.92mm. It was about 0.65. Although this has improved the engine, it still smokes a bit when hot.
0.92 is fine but did you measure this while the cold start device was deactivated?

Quote:
I'm still kind of devastated by how the engine literally ran smoother with 5 cylinders before the rebuild. It has more power now but it runs kinda rough now.
Yes me too, it should only be running better. We need to go thru it methodically. It's really not that complicated but the process does require special tools and unorthodox procedures to guarantee success. Many many have tried to "cheat" and use commonly accepted mechanics practices instead and failed.