View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 240
Default Engine running bad after rebuild

Here we go again

In my previous posts I have explained how I cracked my D24 head and have started to look for a new one.

During this time I found a head and had it machined and I lapped the valves. Adjusted the valves to pretty much exactly to what the book says. I got new stem seals, installed a new metal head gasket and tightened it correctly following the instructions it came with.

But... After all this I got the car running again but it runs like shit and barely stays running without the glow plugs even with full operating temperature and has white smoke when idling even at full operating temp. When at low throttle the engine sputters and jerks so much that driving normally is impossible. Also getting it started is a chore. It starts up and revs up and stalls multiple times before getting it barely to run with the throttle.

I have verified that the valve timing is correct and I have matched the mark on the injection pump as good as I could. The head gasket doesn't seem to be leaking. Liquids are not mixing. Engine feels like it has very good compression when turning by hand. It feels like the engine has been cammed because of how much the rpms jump around constantly at idle.

I'm so lost with this again. The only things I can imagine it being is the pump timing because why would only messing with the head affect how the car behaves under throttle. I tried it an hour ago and the engine doesn't have nearly as much power as it had before. The acceleration took over half as long to 60 mph as it had taken before.

When I looked at the pump timing mark, I am uncertain of it because it doesn't exactly match the mark on the pump frame but I can't get the marks to match any better. It looks like if I go a tooth further on the belt, it will just jump too much to the other side.

Also could 1 tooth off on the pump mess it all up so bad?

I really need some input on this.