View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

If you have the green book manual or an online copy; they state what's best for the vehicle as per factory recommendation.
If I were you I would set the timing to between 0.83-0.85.

Bellhousing is prob broken or chipped due to somebody trying to go around using the proper tools&method.
As the greenbook says it too, cyl 1 TDC is easily found when the cam lobes are both pointing up and you can see the mark in the rear. Some cars have an X and a 0 and in that case you use the zero mark.

I just timed a zf auto car's td engine and it doesnt have the x, only the zero. Some or all d24 nonturbos have both so pay attention.

Here's a picture how the thing looks when the mark is "copied" into the engine casting from the bellhousing marker.

On this engine it is 38mm away from* the exact center point* of the bellhousing bolt hole below it. (From Center-point OF THE HOLE to: where the mark starts on the edge of the engine body.)
The first thing I do after buying a d24 engine is transfering the bellhousing mark into the engine casting by using a hand file! Only then the engine gets on the stand and thats btw when the bh needs to come off anyways.

I can go and measure the same mark on my other, d24 nonturbo motors, for you to compare.

Oh I didnt see that you received other replies too. Good!

I've read them quite a lot but never seen any of my d24 or d24t greenbooks suggest 0.65-0.73! Follow factory specifications carefully, that's what they are for. Time it to around 0.85mm at first and see how it runs for you.

Update: the yellow color nonturbo d24 engine is measured slightly differently bc I didnt want to fully open up the cover that I had put on it.
It measured from center of the "bump" in the casting till the mark that I filed in when the d24 bellhousing was still attached. Consequently the d24 and d24t has the same. Hope this helps you to mark yours.

Note that the rotating 0-mark will fall level with yours *twice, while at the same time the front crank pulley only rotates one revolution (360°). Not both 'meet-ups' indicate the TDC on cyl #1. Both cam lobes of cyl 1 need to point equally 'up'

Green=d24t
Yellow=d24
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200704_214116.jpg (359.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200704_234801.jpg (620.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-05-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Pics added