View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Looking great, I really like the D24T swaps into later 7/9 series cars. The later interiors seem to hold up better, you get nice things like ABS and more features, and of course the body wiring doesn't fall apart like it does on the early cars....

Looks like you had a Rex/Regina injected gasser to start with. Interested to hear what you end up needing to do with the fuel system. I think most of those Regina cars had just one high pressure main pump in the tank unlike the Bosch LH cars with the low pressure lift pump in the tank and the high pressure pump inline under the floor. The low pressure LH pump worked great for me as a diesel lift pump, I just bypassed and removed the high pressure pump. I think if you use the old diesel car's tank pickup/sending unit it might not play well with the later style dash gas gauge, seems like they changed something with the sender setup in the later cars. I wonder if you would be able to get the low pressure pump and sending unit out of a similar year Bosch car and swap that right in. It might work with the '92 fuel gauge and having that low pressure lift pump is actually pretty nice, makes changing fuel filters a really quick job and I guess some people think it helps add a little more power. A lot of the TDI guys like to add lift pumps in their VE pump cars, who knows if it's really helping them or not though.
Yep the resistance in the sender is just the opposite on the 92 vs 86. The 86 sender was 36ohm empty 288 ohm full. The 92 was 277 empty and 2 full. I’m glad I checked! I had to eliminate the high pressure in tank pump, it wasn’t being kind about letting fuel being pulled out. So I used some 5/16” steel pipe and made a suction pipe.

Quote:
I didn't know the greencar co brought in any TD engines, seems like everything I ever saw them do was NA D24 conversions on gas 240s and a lot of those were pretty hacked together (and they sold them for $17k....). I remember they did quite a few of them back in the day. Maybe they finally figured out turbos were the way to go at some point? Was that motor one they had loose or out of one of their built cars?
When they finally realized they couldn’t build cars they sold off all there parts, at least that’s what I assume. I say the craigslist add years ago with all there late d24 engines for sale. But this engine actually came from one of there hacked up cars.

Quote:
Sounds like it'll be great when done, like to see it some day. Will be interesting to hear how the ZF holds up to the extra power but I bet it will be fine, any plans for work on the trans? I've never seen any shift kits for them but seems like they are pretty tough and don't really die from abuse, mainly just from the known A-clutch issue that they have a fix for now.

I remember back when Jason had his motor cranked up quite a bit and was doing fine with the ZF, then swapped in an M46 and broke it within a couple days, then broke another one shortly after that. Guess the ZF wins that contest!
The ZF does seem to hold up well, your old silver 764 currently has a built engine with a 12mm pump, hx30, ported head, 2.5” straight pipe, and large intercooler. The transmission seems to be holding up well and shifts nice and crisp under full throttle. I do plan on building one of these ZF transmissions though.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745