View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745 TurboGreasel View Post
They are like an infestation, I don't think I've got a failed one yet.
A failed water pump??? I've got at least 5 I could send you, maybe more... Several with noisy bearings and at least two that leaked. They're not everlasting, though they do seem to last 200k+ a lot of the time. The worst one I saw was on member ngoma's 744 -- it leaked so bad we were sure it must have been the O-ring, which was kinda flat, so when we changed the t-belt we replaced the O-ring and put the pump back in, the bearing felt fine. Water started pouring out as soon as we began filling the radiator... had to take it back apart and put a pump in.

It would be cool to find a rebuilder for the original pumps since I am sure that a lot of us have a small collection of used ones sitting around. I don't know if it might end up costing more to have it done than it costs to just get a new one, though. The Hepu pumps are supplied by Worldpac and IMC at least, probably other wholesalers too, any reseller of their lines should be able to get it. Now and then you can still find a good-quality new D24 pump, I have a couple NOS Graf pumps still in the box, but knowing now that this works I think I would actually prefer to use the Hepu 5cyl pump -- I think the smaller sprocket and higher pump RPM is probably an advantage for cooling under a few different conditions.

Anders, how is the motor coming? Dan and I did the D24T swap in his 244 this weekend, runs great and you were right, it dropped right in on fresh motor mounts, no clearance problems and the 740 downpipe even fits perfectly, almost like somebody meant for it to go in there. We did not have to shim the mount. It's on the road and will be at the February meet...