View Single Post
Old 09-22-2023, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: '88 745 D24T ~370tkm; '94 945 D24TIC ~325tkm; '83 Honda 650 GL Silver Wing ~78tkm
Thumbs up

To be honest?
If you are interested in this car, and it's meanwhile pretty rare and a cool classic, and understand technics and are willing to learn step by step, no hurry, just as it fits to your life then you can stand it. Spare parts are still pretty available and if you have time and fun to walk around junkyards or search replacement for missing/defective parts through the internet (Volvo-communinty networks etc.) then you will find what you need.
I started as a bloody beginner in 2006, then I increased the work with old Diesel-Volvos during the years. As an autodidact. For some work you need special tools, for others I can ask a mechanic (best someone who knows about these cars & engines). Depends also on my private conditions.
The main thing I would scare about would be only the old front timing belt, even when it may look good I would let it run only for a very short term for testing. Otherwise of course not. The risk of damaging the valves/cylinders/head due to tearing belt would be too high and costly.

I am not a pro at all. Made just lots of experiences with these models and engines. And this is gold value.

Best regards from Orlando, FL
Bernd