View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 10:50 AM
Supporting Member

Compression test is just to get a general indication on the condition of the piston rings, to help pinpoint the cause of the oil consumption. My thinking was if low compression, we can deduce the oil control rings are also weak.

If that 's the case, not sure a complete overhaul is necessary. Might get by with new rings, possible cylinder rehone. Requires oil pan removal so engine out of car makes it more accessible.

The high mileage might be a factor, especially if the engine was run for a significant time on non-synthetic oil.

Does the engine start easily, at all temperatures? Sometimes a clue to poor ring sealing is hard starting when just warm enough to not call for glowplugs yet not hot enough for better ring sealing.

Turbo oil leak could be another factor but I lack experience with this, maybe someone else can share?

What is the blowby (how much smoke puffs out when removing the oil filler cap)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario765 View Post
I avoid high load when the engine is cold, but since my place of work ist right next to the Autobahn I have to give it a little more throttle than I'd like to get up to speed. I think the engine should normally be able to handle that, tough.
Be careful with that. We had a trashed D24T from a person that lived at the bottom of a long steep hill. Approx. 130,000 miles, solid maintenance record from a good shop, etc. but the engine died an early life from all the hard mornings.