View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Supporting Member

If the lever does not move rearward when warmed up, the cold start is inop, and has likely failed in the common failure mode, as listed here several times-- failed permanently in the cold starting position. If anything, this should guarantee easier starting, along with the related excessively-high idle RPM after warmup, combined with too much IP timing advance when warm.

Therefore your blue smoke rough (low RPM) startups are likely caused by something else. If indeed this seemed to occur suddenly after the shop installed new injectors, I would start looking at the injectors themselves (new is no guarantee that they work properly, or are set to the correct POP pressure) and/or (as v8volvo explained earlier) the possibility that the shop rotated the IP to access the injectors behind it, thereby knocking the timing off spec.

The Volvo offiicial (and easier) method to manually disable the cold start mechanism is to rotate the collar just forward of the cable end stop clamp. Rotating the collar 90deg allows the end stop to slide forward into it and creates 1/4" - 1/2" of slack in the cable which lets the lever move rearward. The danger in disturbing the cable end stop clamp is the difficulty in later resetting it to a safe position without dedicated shop equipment. All the factory service manuals state multiple times to not disturb that clamp! But I think the original clamp position should have left evidence-- a bend or crimp in the cable or other visible marking that should make it possible to reset it to its former position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
would you guys trust diesel men they tell me what should be happening and blame it all on cold start device .
No, for reasons stated above. Are they the only shop in your area?

I recommend as your next step: Find a competent technician to 1) Verify the IP timing and adjust if necessary. If problem persists, 2) Test the injectors and set them to correct POP pressure as needed.

What happened to the old injectors?

Last edited by ngoma; 02-27-2014 at 11:35 AM.