View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Leakproofing a saginaw power steering system, cheaply and quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
They don't mean driving for two days straight (72 hrs.).
I`m sure that would be even worse than 2 days )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
The OD pan magnet is glued because the OD pan is aluminum! Non-magnetic surface.
Yes I definitely did not think of this when I posted. Ridiculous!

ALSO,

If you look at the 5 illustrations, you can see something that (I think) is the problem.

Today alone, I drove 149 local miles, but my PS did not self-bleed. Time to time it felt like it caught up but: extremely rarely and for 2seconds only.
I noticed this also: When the engine revs up for the first start (at a coldstart), I can feel that there is some power assist for the steering but it lasts only for 2 seconds, 3 seconds maximum; then biceps needed again.

There is no leaking whatsoever, anywhere.
The low and high pressure hoses both look aged and have some visible chafing but no leaks.
Fluid level is constant and there are no bubbles when turned left or right.
When I turn wheel to full lock, I can hear the pump working. No struggles but I can hear it trying.

Okay. So, now, proceed by looking at my 5 illustrations above... and see the first two pictures to compare.
The damn o-ring sits in a different groove.
I think that`s the problem.

At my assembly, to see and confirm how well (or if at all) the pin was seated, I pulled that pin out and pushed it back in once more, then I assembled everything. O-ring must have slipped into the secondary groove? yes I would guess so. And it was all in front of my eyes but I never spotted. Also, uploaded picts later... but never noticed.
The o-ring is blocking the orifice where fluid supposed to be freely traveling through.

I think I know what to do now. High pressure fitting off, grabbing the 1inch socket, pin out, move the oring or use a new one if damaged.

Thank you for the links and the detailed technical info. Many forumers will now do this fun&easy rebuild. Stakes arent high.

The next pump I will fully disassemble, spend some extra time for the internals (bushing etc) and use all 12 parts in the rebuild kit.

UPDATE and confirmation:
Yes, it was the o-ring that slipped into the wrong groove at installation.
Now it has new fluid once again. Power steering pump runs perfectly. Also it self-bled by itself in no time. No leaks, no weird sounds.

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-17-2020 at 02:11 PM.