View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 03:54 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Well yes it is an old skool engine but in a different vein than the old stump pullers. Not much power or torque down low like the common stereotypical old skool diesel industrial engines; these like to rev more, smoother, quieter and less smoky.

You may want to study what the VW 4-cyl diesel gearhead crowd has done with their (similar bones) versions of these engines (the early pre-TDI versions). Much larger population; they have experimented more with VNT, porting, IP, manifold and exhaust mods., etc.
I have another 2 restos to finish so no heavy modding haha I will just do my best to get her as nippy as possible

Had a experience this morning that summarised the way it drives well.

Let her run for 10 on the drive to warm but still cold so gently driving but briskly.

On my way and i get stuck behind a turnip crawling, then half way up a reasonably steep hill they pull in and make me brake. Literally from 5th to 2nd gear nothing at all no torque to be had and a huge que behind me as i try to get back up to speed. It literally crawled up to speed up a hill, surely that is not right? It is completely useless on anything beyond flat although alot nippier since my work once going.

I would not dare tow a kitten on rollerskates with this if thats all the torque they have

When cold its a nightmare as you cant use the revs to claw some power

Mick