View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 05:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
...timing belt all done!
Congradulations! You sure took care of that quickly! Especially for a first timer!
Just out of curiosity, what is your mechanical background, and did you already have the (what the greenbook calls) Special Tools handy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
The low idle screw is completely siezed, any screwdrivers I got on it instantly started to crush the screw end. Is this common, is there any way to get around this? I can't take the pump off, so I have to try to sort it in-place. But it's already starting to chew, and if I just do the same I will round the screwhead off. I don't really want to grab the threads on the other end with a vice-grip either, for fear of damaging the threads - but if that is what needs done, so be it.
It is a long screw that threads through two threaded bulkheads cast into the IP top cover. Also it has a jamnut tightened against the forward bulkhead. (Hopefully you already loosened the jamnut before attempting to turn the screw. )
Can you visually tell if there is corrosion of any kind at either of these three threaded portions? If so, try applying some good penetrant for a few days before trying again.

Also, tapping the screw with a light hammer, or hammer/punch combination can help free stuck screws. Sometimes tapping the end of the screwdriver while trying to turn the screw can free the screw.

That location can have limited access to get good purchase with a screwdriver. You may be able to doublenut the screw to get better leverage for turning it. Yes, thinking about this now, there should be just enough threads available to get another nut up against the one jamnut already there on the slotted end of the screw to doublenut it for removal. Well not removal but to free it up for further adjustment. So try doublenutting before resorting to visegrips, etc.

Be aware that both the IP top cover and the screw are not especially strong alloys.