View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Check ngoma's posts in the "D24 Special Tools" sticky, which show photos of the majority of the special tools needed: https://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1299

Those might get you started on building what you need. The most critical D24-specific tools are the ones related to locking the crankshaft and the pulley counterhold and bent wrench for the rear camshaft pulley bolt (tool numbers 9995187, 9995199, and 9995201). The dial indicator holder (and indicator itself) and the cam locking plate are also highly necessary for any successful work related to the timing system or cylinder head, but those are easily adapted from the very common VW 4-cylinder versions that are dime-a-dozen on ebay.

If you need detailed measurements or photos of the crank locking tool let us know and someone who has the factory tool can probably provide them, or you can measure the inner locking tabs on the harmonic balancer also to get the same result. The tool is designed to engage those tabs to stop the crank. It then rests against the fan bearing bracket in the factory version, but you could just as easily make a longer version that rests against the ground, or the frame rail, etc.

You could also check the Tool Rental section of the forum where members who own the factory tools make them available for loan or rent. I have a full set that I loan out for free, though I do require a very large deposit to ensure I get them back.

Welcome to the board and glad to hear you're going to give it a new lease on life, sounds like a fun project!