View Single Post
Old 04-26-2023, 12:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 245d6 View Post
It starts immediately but makes a bit of a noise for the first 10 seconds and smokes a bit for about 30 seconds.
Startup noise and smoke is normal. Immediate start is fabulous!

Quote:
The biggest issue is that it won't go over 110 km/h, especially when giving it full throttle it eventually goes slower, starts to smoke brown/grey/black. If i let go of the gas it gets better and eventually i can get it a bit above 110 on the counter. Up until 100 no issues at all.
Very common symptom of clogged fuel filter. What is its history?

Quote:
Sounds like a bearing with a tight belt, but I thought i read that the pump doesn't have any roller bearings.
IP has a bushing at the mainshaft pulley end. It will wear oblong and cause leaks if it is run with the belt too tight. At rest, you should be able to twist the belt easily 45-90 deg. with your thumb and finger.

Quote:
Spews quite a bit of vapour / oil from the crankcase breather, so much that the entire intake is full of black ''grease''. This was already when I got the car, and I still need to remove the intake and clean everything. Planning on rerouting the crankcase breather into a catch can. In the first 500km's the dipstick went from full to reading 3/4, when I take of the breather tube I think i know where the oil is going... I don't really mind at the moment, maybe pull the engine out next year and rebuild it but for now I would like to just drive it for a bit.
Could be a sign the rings are not sealing, a good possibility after sitting for >20 years. At least the oil control rings. If it starts easily, equally when cold, warm, and hot, the compression is probably good. Would be interesting to do a compression check if possible.

Quote:
injector at the rear of the engine is a bit sweaty, was leaking last week but magically solved itself, now the 3rd injector has started leaking. Not too bad, no diesel under the car but they're wet. Is on my list to fix.
Kind of rare for the injectors themselves to leak at the seam unless they have been incorrectly serviced. Look closely at the small diameter spill hoses, and the end plug. They start to weep with age. Sometimes the small niipples on the injectors can leak and need to be carefully tapped in.

Quote:
No clue if the cold start device is working, it was disconnected when I got. I suppose it is in ''warm'' mode but have no clue on how to check, could be a reason for my issues maybe.. Car always starts, even with bad battery and -10 celcius weather (despite some smoke at those temperatures)
Very good sign of engine general health there that it starts well.
With the external cold start cable disconnected, IP internal spring pressure defaults the mechanism to warm setting and keeps it there. Does your IP have the altitude compensator solenoid?

Quote:
1. Replace fuel line from hard line to pump with a clear line to see if there is air in the system. I'm not sure if this is the issue as it smokes black / brown / blue but figured I might check as it's easy.
IP should have a clear line (probably yellowed by now) between it and the fuel filter.

Quote:
2. Clean air intake, reroute crankcase vent tube into catch can. My theory: As car starts to rev up, more pressure builds up, more oil gets thrown out in to the intake system which is then introduced into the combustion chambers, making the engine run ''rich'' on diesel / oil / air mixture?

So far no runaway situation so can't be too much, but maybe this could be the problem?
IDI diesel has no rich/lean as known in the gasser world, but excessive crankcase oil or vapor ingestion may be causing a partial runaway condition but doesn't seem to be a problem in your case.

Quote:
Spews quite a bit of vapour / oil from the crankcase breather
How are you measuring this? Some blowby is normal. What happens if you unscrew the oil fill cap and just set it over the hole (engine warmed up)? Does it stay there and rattle a bit or does it blow off the valve cover like a geyser?

Quote:
In the first 500km's the dipstick went from full to reading 3/4
Not sure what your measurement describes here. The entire crosshatch pattern section on the dipstick roughly correlates to 1 liter.

I personally dislike oil consumption over 1 liter per 1600Km but I suppose a hard limit would be 1L/1000Km.

Quote:
3. Recheck pump timing, maybe i screwed up somewhere and it's off, resulting in too much fuel at max revs? Don't know if this could lead to the engine bogging down and losing some power.
More like fuel starvation (clogged fuel filter or other fuel supply issue) can cause smoke (counterintuitive I know) and power loss at high RPMs.

Overall my first thoughts is that your engine is basically sound. Possible excessive oil consumption. Rings might reseat themselves after some spirited high-load driving. Apparently it has had a history of carbon buildup (as seen in the intake manifold). Diesels like to be worked hard (after warmup) and an Italian tune-up might help burn off any carbon impeding ring sealing.

Been a long time since I've driven a D24 N/A, but seems like it should be able to reach 130-135KMh? Might take a while...
Your transmission does not have OD?