View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM

So I finally heard back from the shop. Apparently, two of the glow plugs were bad AND the pump timing was off (I don't know how it was off, then on again when they checked it before). The mechanic says it was "off 180 degrees" and continued to say that it was at "6" when it should've been at "2" or something along those lines. The issue of the explosions from the intake manifold was not addressed, but he did say there was excessive blow-by and that the motor was generally "in not-so-good shape." I asked if he could check to see if the crank pulley bolt was torqued down but he was reluctant to do so (he said there was too much that needed to come off). I also asked about rear belt tension and he said it was good and that the belt wasn't missing any teeth. He says the car starts up fine with "no smoke," which I suppose is good because I used to get a lot of smoke before at start up.

I'm altogether not impressed that it took them this long to test the glow plugs (which I asked them to do on day 1). Should I insist that they check the crank bolt torque?