View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 AM

About 3 years ago, I converted a very nice 92 745 turbo wagon to install a D24T. As the engime compartment layout is very similar with the air cleaner, battery box in the right places etc it was an easy swap. I even used the turbo gasser radiator and left the intercooler in though I have never hooked it up.
I did not change the springs as I compared them to the 85 740 sedan the diesel came out of and found them to be exactly the same. I still have the diesel sedan springs if someone wants them.
The car uses the ZF transmission (now rebuilt) and drive shaft from the 85 sedan. I chose the 745 wagon rather than 945 as the car is lighter overall. I did of course swap the front cross member also. The 85 diesel sedan ZF console and gearchange fit perfectly into the 92 car.
Much of the changes you are doing I did then and it was really quite easy.
Keep the gas engine temp gauge sender as you will need it to match the 92 cluster. It uses two wires. The one wire sender will not work!!
I did not use the electric cooling fan but instead installed the original D24T fan and clutch. I should have installed the electric fan in front of the rad for the a/c but I haven't done that yet. On the highway the a/c works just fine, even in SC !
Incidentally I am thinking of selling this wagon as I am in the process of buying a 2012 VW tdi Sportwagen with 6 sp manual and I will have to thin the herd.

cheers, Steve