View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 1990 Pinzgauer P90 6X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Well, that's not your fault.

The point of bringing a job like this to a professional is it becomes THEIR job to have this kind of knowledge, so that you don't have to. Right? You pay them, rather than doing it yourself, because 1) they already possess the expertise, resources, and equipment needed to do the work successfully and professionally, or 2) if not, then they are ready and capable to acquire all of those things and get the same result. If you are having to become the expert yourself, then what is their role?

Anyway, on the other hand, this is an oddball rig that's hard to find someone to work on, so perhaps the usual rules don't apply. Maybe the solution in this case is going to be a team effort between you and the mechanic to get enough info and resources together to straighten things out. None of this is rocket science by any stretch -- these are extremely simple old engines in the end, they have no booby traps, and they are not haunted. All the mistakes are easily avoidable. You just have to choose to avoid them.
In his defense, he knew this was an oddball rig and took it on with full disclosure that he'd be figuring it out as he went. He did an extensive amount of work, and didn't charge me a dime for storage while it was in his shop for 5 months as we diagnosed problems, waited on parts from UK, consulted with mechanics from the UK, etc.

The Pinz did come with full service manual that includes step by step on basically everything, not sure if the Volvo book would be different...?

OK it looks like from the 3 people on the tool rental sticky that v8volvo has what I need unless I'm mistaken.

Also, I'm always happy to donate to sites like this! Just let me know how and when!

Last edited by Sethsquatch; 12-28-2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Forgot sentence