View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 05:27 AM

Vehicle: VW LT28D
Default Update - finally!!

So, it's been a massive delay since i last posted but, this is because of lockdown and much work to do, I haven't had a chance to actually drive the van any great length.

However, I finally got to give it a proper run on it's 'maiden' camping trip - this 2.4DW engine is in a 1980s VW LT Karmann motorhome.

Anyway, just to recap - after much work trying to get the engine running properly after the previous owner had running issues and didn't drive it for four years prior to us getting it.

This involved a service, timing belts, a new injection pump end seal (it was drawing in air / leaking; the main running problem), timing the pump properly, new injectors and glow plugs, local fuel return hoses, fresh coolant and several new thermostats, it was still overheating, according to the dash gauge - the needle of which sat the overheating zone on the gauge and the red led flashed, even after half mile journeys and on cold days (5 to 10 degs C)

So, after checking (and rechecking) the rad, reservoir, coolant hoses, thermostat the last thing I finally did was change the dash gauge.

On our recent journey, the gauge sat between the middle led and the hot zone for about 30 mins then dropped to just above the middle led, I guess when the thermostat and rad cut in. This was in around 20 degs c outside temp.

So, problems seems to be solved and I'm happy. My blood is caked on the engine block, my sweat and tears evaporated : ) It's be a journey but thanks for all your help.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks very much.