View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default ATF mismatch

Thanks for your reply.
Yesterday I drove the car to Autozone and bought 3bottles of the F type ATF again, for the next tranny fluid job where I`ll try to slightly overfill the m46 as you suggested, maybe by 0.5qt max (100-500miles from now). No leaks noticed anywhere on the tranny yet, so that`s good news. Shifting feels so right, loving it!

I also bought another bottle of the Merc3-5/Dexron type ATF. Yesterday I also sucked out the F type ATF that I wrongly used earlier as `power steering fluid`... and finally the steering reservoir was filled up with the correct version of ATF fluid.
Thanks again for the note.

Does anyone happen to have an m46 laying around? Would be nice to know the measurements of the two holes under the round inside filter of the overdrive unit. I`d make the tool in advance to make the fluid swap as quick as possible. Not much torque on that barrel shape thing, according to the m46 greenbook manual that I have. So I might be okay with just any diy random tool or even with some beefy circlip pliers. I thought of making this tool to access the filter... I`d be using cut-out socket so that`s why the measurements of the holes would be great, center to center and the hole diamater. In this case my own socket would let me apply the proper factory torque value by using the socket-tool (after flushing the filter). Thanks!
I have a vw timing tool that actually looks like it could be the right fit but my tranny is filled now and I dont feel like doing the job just to measure things. If anyone has a dry m46 around, that`d be great. It is a J type btw.

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-11-2020 at 03:00 PM.