View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Might it be possible to extrapolate 4-cyl readings to a 6-cyl theoretical? Maybe not the turbochargers are too different.
Also I think there may be some meaningful differences in the timing curves required by direct injection vs prechamber injection engines. All the electronic control engines for which existing timing maps can be found are DI since to my knowledge electronic controls were never applied to the old IDI engines (at least for VW -- maybe timing data for an old GM IDI 6.5 TD would be interesting to compare?).

But maybe another option could be to get timing calibration book data from a Bosch service spec for the IDI pumps and build a map from that. I think those give a lot of detail for advance piston displacement at different RPM and load settings and from those data points it might be possible to interpolate and create a decent curve.

Quote:
I had an idea for the Pressure Control Valve-- devise a fine thread thumbscrew in the top of it that alters the position of the plunger. Might even be able to run it to the dash panel using a mechanical speedo cable.

That is a clever idea. It would be something that would basically adjust the preload on the spring inside the valve? Doesn't seem like it would be particularly hard to machine from a spare valve, no? Just drill out the upper center and cut some fine threads into it? Sealing up the thumbscrew might take some creativity I guess.