View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Default rear-axle rebuild volvo>>jeep cherokee III

This is a story of 3 parts, now you enter part 3

Picture of the yoke waiting for the u-joint of the oiginal Volvo driveshaft (without flange)

While demounting the end-flange of the driveshaft one of the needlebearingcaps was broken so i had to replace the u-joint and bought it from the local 4x4 shop along with the pinionseal.It’s my luck that Volvo and Jeep both use DANA/SPICER rearaxles as wel as shafts so it’s easy to “combine both worlds” The owner of the 4x4 shop likes the build, it’s not often that people buy parts fot their Volvo at his shop…………

After adjusting the diff, the final shafts can be mounted with bearings and seals.I mention the diff, adjustment like it’s a small detail but that isn’t!!!!! On the WWW there’s a very helpful article about setting up gears.You “should” read it it’s very good written and illustrated;

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

Picture of the pipe wich holds the speedo-sensor later when the axle is completed.I applied some kit for safety to be sure the weld won’t leak.

Oh, there must be oil in it before i forget….The guy from the 4x4 told me to use 90W140 oil with LS specification and also a addition of Kendall friction-modifier for the LSD plates.Otherwise the plates will proberly shatter and be worn.

Finally D-day (not Decision-day like in june 1944 but Dana-day this time).The axle can be placed under the car.

Detail from the new driveshaft-connection;

After a lot of reading,working and thinking i could make my testdrive.I never knew that the 240 makes so much wind-noise at 120KM/hour.(while the car is perfectly aerodynamic!!!)Seriously the car is much more silent the enginerevving is about 350 rpm less and the axle itself is perfectly quiet!My familymembers a satisfied to because 2 of them have “travel-sickness” and hated the turboboost.That makes them sick.Now the car becomes more lazy and quiet so everybody is happy.