View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

Never boring here!

Since MOT/TUeV/Registration/whatever expires today (May 28th), and since HG and head are again acting out, and I do not plan to register it again before I put the M50 in, yesterday I decided to play with the pump a bit.

Did the governor mod. Shimmed the main spring with a M5 or M6 nut, put everything together, played with timing and max fuel screw to get it to idle nice, but then it just wouldn't pull till ~3krpm, then it would be fine.
I'm sure I put the throttle lever back on the same spline where it was, but something just didn't feel right. And it wouldn't rev over ~5300, just like before the mod.
Moved throttle lever one spline further, idle jumped to ~2000, couldn't get it lower with max fuel screw - it would drop to idle, but after a blip on the throttle it would stay at 2000. Would drop from higher revs normally, and if I would back max fuel screw more, it would shake on the edge of stalling.

Even with idle at 2000, it had no power till about 4krpm, had to keep it floored so it wouldn't stall when setting off...

After moving the lever one spline further last 1/4 of the gas pedal travel became harder, like there was some resistance. But when I'd press hard enough and overcome it, there was instant power and it would go over 6k rpms in 1st gear (traffic didn't allow for higher gears).

However, I parked and decided to call it a day, revved it just once again in neutral and then...it died.

I thought I knew what happened, so I depressed the accelerator all the way. I was right - pedal travel was now smooth all the way.

So I guess I broke the governor shaft and sent pieces of it flying into the pump spining at 3000 rpm...so I don't see a way of pump getting out of this alive.

Didn't bother opening it, but I eventually will, just for fun.

The damage is done, but I'm curious to why - does anyone have an entertaining theory about what happened?