View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Completely off-topic (sorry) ... BUT VERY IMPORTANT:

Be careful what you do in the mornings (even on a warm&sunny Summer morning)! I read words such as `coldstart`, `morning`, `RPM`, revs, `climbing a hill` etc.
I really hope that you normally start the car and let it idle for at least 10-15 minutes before climbing hills or getting on any road that has speed limits above 50KM/H. Raising RPM to 2300 soon after the diesel got coldstarted is NOT OKAY, also equally NOT OKAY even if you simply idled without the car moving. Not to mention attempting climbing a hill with a coldstarted diesel engine at 2300 RPM.
Maybe you missed telling us that you let it idle before taking it on that ``test``.

Driving these cars `hard` when cold, is recipe for serious trouble and recipe for very very premature wear internally and will affect major engine components.
A coldstarted diesel engine will not stay healthy for too long for those who drive their cold diesel too hard or simply too `early` (not waiting for it to warm up which usually takes 5-8miles of **gentle** low-RPM driving OR min 10-15mins of idling (often, even longer stationary idling itself won`t even warm up the car to operating temps), but all of this can vary based on temperatures, climate etc. )

Where I grew up we always go to the seller`s house when we buy his/her car and evaluate things before making decisions. Asking questions like how long he had the vehicle etc, how long had he lived at that location etc. Questions that help the buyer imagine what scenarios may have happened daily in the Winters (and honestly every season it happens). This includes learning what profession he has, how many cars he drives, how far from his house the closest major road is (higher speed limits with a cold engine?!!), also checking this: are there any substantial hills in the area en-route to that main road where he would need to drive the car through soon after the coldstart (because of cold climate mornings when an impatient owner can(=will) ruin a diesel engine, simply by climbing that hill with higher than normal RPMs, ruining the engine from the inside out... day by day, slowly but surely. It now may all sound like `ugh such an ocd diesel bug person` , but damage is guaranteed for the owners with bad habits.

I am sure you aren`t one of those bc you had this car for 279000 kilometers already.

I just felt like mentioning this for those who either never had a diesel and they have one now, and for those who don`t think much of what`s bad/best for their diesel car.

Wishing the best of luck to figure out what is wrong with your beloved Volvo.
I also put my bets on the injection pump being misadjusted or maybe a little worn by now. Would also get the injectors rebuilt by a Bosch professional, one future day. makes a huge difference but focus on resetting the IP to the best possible values and dont give up on your rare diesel Volvo.

On a side note, don`t let anyone touch the tranny, or at least not for now. Dealing with issues one by one is tons easier and it makes much more sense than changing multiple setups of several components at the same time, then not really knowing what mod resulted having a certain symptom(s).

There`s a high chance you will get things figured out soon AND you`ll have it running better than before. But if I listen to my heart I must say I personally don`t trust the competence of those who serviced the pump (*based on things you shared with us).
hi red arrow
thanks for that comment. well the hill is half a mile from my house and its DOWN THE HILL when i leave home i so nothing to worry about there
. this is for all of you i messed with the ball stop lever that brings the cold stat on
yesterday . when the engine was hot im sorry it was wrong thing to do came out this morning to frosty weather and engine cold stat did not come on due to the position of the ball stop nut , its given out sunny today so i will let engine go cold and get it working again . hopefully . sorry again thanks for all your patience