View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Been working on my clutch R/R, and M46 OD refresh. Got the same kit as Nevadan, couple of differences:

1. PP fit perfectly on the flywheel dowels, but then, the (3) dowels on my flywheel were arranged in an equilateral triangle spacing. Interesting because the other D24 flywheels I have seen had (2) dowels, approx. 60 deg. apart. Wait a minute, those (2) pins are thinner than the (3) dowels; they were not present on my flywheel, actually no holes for them at all. Dan thought they were used for setting the timing at the factory, or factory shops.

2. Throwout bearing from the kit didn't want to install on the release lever, so had to grind off the ledges on the metal clips where it slides into the release lever's elongated hole. It was the correct depth (1-1/4") however, for use with the curved finger PP.

Ended up using the pilot bearing that was in there as it looked to be in good shape, and correct style.

Clutch disc also looked perfect, but replaced it anyway.

No evidence of oil inside the bellhousing.

Machinist said the flywheel was a little warped, maybe that was the cause of the chatter on takeoff? Input shaft splines looked good.