View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 06:23 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I read your earlier post again a little closer. A couple more things:

1. Injector nozzles probably are not the issue here, they don't really have any control over engine speed. I would not worry about them at all, at least not for this issue (I know you have had some other issues with them though). Failed nozzle will cause smoke, knocking, misfire, etc, but not changes in RPM control.

2. Static timing setting probably isn't related either. If the timing is close enough for it to start cleanly, then it should be close enough to rev through the full range.

3. I think I am understanding that you turned down the "smoke screw" / quantity screw / fuel adjuster, as we are referring to it here. Just as an experiment, what happens if you turn it back in a little bit, like a quarter turn? Does that improve response and get rid of the dead spot you are noticing? It might create a little smoke too but let's just try it for the sake of knowledge. That screw has a large effect on the motion of the governor parts and it could be that it's the reason the engine is not as snappy as you would like.