View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 08:47 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Nice work on all this, fun to see your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
I cleared the crossmember from the ends of the chopped off tie rods and removed the power steering rack hose, to store. I had to take out the huge bolts that secure it to the chassis but they had no heads! They got torched off in PA.
This 85 XM has no cracks or maybe I should look better when it gets cleaned up one day. There`s surface rust around the engine mount pedestal`s base area but nothing major.
That is good news. If there are no cracks starting yet then one option you may have would be to get that crossmember reinforced, rather than searching for one of the later upgraded ones. You could have some gussets welded in to simulate what Volvo added on the later ones. Might give you a setup for a swap, or a spare for your other car if it ever needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
IF, I ever end up doing a swap: gasser car modded to become a td car; will I run into problems because the diesel/turbodiesel shafts are different?
OR, the td shaft will bolt into the gasser`s rear end without the annoying mismatch problems?? I wonder about length, size, diameters etc.

All info is very welcome, maybe and hopefully I dont have to store this rear end and the gasser will provide me with everything I need for the swap and maybe the gasser shaft will be used without a problem? Also the gasser rear end?
Do i need to keep at least the TD car`s shaft parts? The parts that were between the tranny and the rear diff of this td sedan donor car.
Or will my td shaft be not needed at all?

If the TD engine and td ZF tranny combo CAN be used straight into a future gasser wagon WITH reusing the future gasser wagon`s shaft AND rear end, then I`m very happy. And will not need to keep this td sedan donor rear end. maybe not even the donor TD shaft?
Gasser rear axle flange will be the same as a diesel one. The only difference between gas and diesel differential is the ratio, and as far as that goes, the gasser ratio may be in fact preferable.

The driveshaft: only the front half is different in the gas vs diesel cars (same distance from the center support bearing to the rear axle flange no matter what engine or trans the car has, so the rear half is theoretically the same for all gas, diesel, automatic, manual, etc). However, it doesn't really make sense to keep only one part of the driveline, for multiple reasons:
- the two pieces are balanced together so you don't want to mix and match with another driveline -- the two halves should be used together, and should be kept in phase
- there are two different styles of driveline, one has the male splines on the rear end and the female splines on the front end, and the other style is opposite. Obviously those two styles are not compatible with each other, even though as a *complete* setup either one will bolt into a car.

Thus if you are thinking seriously about ever doing a gasser swap, I would just keep the entire driveline since you know it will bolt right in and work and you will have no questions about how to combine with gasser parts.