View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: VW LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
That could be the case but not necessarily. As you can see, there is a large adjustment range for the ball stud on the top of the CS lever that provides the idle speed "bump up" when in cold position.

Thus if that ball stud has been incorrectly adjusted back away from the throttle lever (sometimes we see this if the system has failed in the cold position and someone wants to regain regular idle speed but doesn't know how to disconnect the linkage cable), the CS lever could be in the cold/advanced position without causing contact between the ball and the throttle lever.

The photos of your pump in the ebay auction show that the CS linkage is already disconnected as you correctly pointed out. So, normally that would mean the lever is in the cold position. However, usually when the linkage is disconnected that results in some free movement available in the lever. It also usually causes the lever to rest against its sheetmetal stop tab, which yours is not. I would say that lever is not reaching the fully disengaged position even with the CS cable end disconnected. It's somewhere between what we would think of as the "full cold" position and the "full warm" position that should be obtained when the cable is disconnected like it is. Since this is a rebuilt fresh pump, I guess that means the CS system may have been incorrectly set by the rebuilder and you may need to loosen that cable.

(Or have a Bosch shop do this for you if you are understandably not comfortable playing with the forbidden adjustment. )
@v8volvo thanks a lot for the detailed answer. Those are the conclusions I came to as well, I am a bit pissed that the seller keeps on denying any mistake on their end but I guess I'll have to just fix it myself. I will try pouring hot water into the CSD to see if it relaxes at all, so to determine whether it is currently in cold or warm position, and then adjust the setting myself. I found instructions on how to do that at pages 168-171 of the greenbook and I'll give it a shot.

What I'm not fully understanding though is (at least) one thing: is the CSD lever the only thing supposed to move when going from cold to warm? Is everything else static? I guess it's clear to me how the idle compensation works (via the stud) but I'm not fully grasping how the timing advance is achieved.