View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default Kibbles and bits

Well here is a very bad ending for d24T that I thought I was going to install in my 240. I bought a rebuilt D24T complete with around 40,000 miles on it. I got it home, primed the injection pump with fresh fuel, and changed the oil. On Sunday I put it on the running stand, rolled it over till it had oil pressure. I preheated the glow plugs and fired it up, Started great. A few seconds went and the engine revved up to the sky and before I could shut it off, BANG!!! Smoke all over. Engine stopped faster then it started. So I was done for that day, thinking well I need a piston and a new head now, I wish! Pulled it apart last night, I pulled the valve cover off, #1 and #2 exhaust valves gone, valve stem From #2 popping back up in a new location. Pulled the head off, and holy crap, there was no piston in #1 cylinder, well there wasn't much of a #1 cylinder also. Connecting rod looks like a egg noodle. I pulled some piston pieces out of the engine block and some cylinder wall. I will try to post some pictures this week. And by the way, Timing belt(s) was intact in great shape and still on time when pulled apart!