View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Crossmember is cracked in 740 d24t, i have a non-cracked same year 1985 xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
No welding or fabrication required. You will need to transfer the right side engine mount angled base from your old crossmember. Again, bolt-in.
I would like to prepare for this crossmember swap and do it in the upcoming weeks. So... in case parts are used from a non-d24t car:
there`s absolutely no welding necessary when transfering the `right side engine mount angled base` either?

(My other option is, as V8volvo suggested in another post, to grab the spare 1985 d24t crossmember (I have it from a parts car) and get it reinforced at all necessary spots first, then install that right after taking the cracked one out. I might prefer doing it this way but if someone can tell me for sure what exact models` crossmembers I could use; then I may try ordering it... or finding a good and proper donor non-d24t model Volvo in a junkyard before winter hits. I am just not totally sure what exact other volvo 700/900 models have the crossmember that works best for the 740 d24t car. )

Thanks for the comfirmation.

P.S.: I noticed the cracks on my d24t crossmember about 7yrs ago, both sides. Back then, as NGoma suggested I drilled holes at the ends of those cracks to stop the gaps from `spreading`. It doesnt look severe but we never know, right? I don`t think they worsened a lot but it is time to get this project gone from my checklist.

Last edited by RedArrow; 10-27-2020 at 03:53 PM.