View Single Post
Old 04-10-2023, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
All too common (Volvo used Bosch biodegradable wiring in these years) and high probability this is the source of your parasitic electrical drain.
Your replacement wiring loom should remedy.
I have also seen 90s era Mercedes-Benz vehicles having similar deteriorating wiring. It's a shame but it is what it is. I'll have to pull the spare harness out of storage and give it a critical eye.

Quote:
Might just be a futile effort; plan on replacement and full system flush. As v8volvo mentioned above, be ready to replace calipers as needed.
I'll take a look at it. If I can rebuilt it I would like to. Mainly to learn how it works and whatnot. I've seen my fare share of YouTube videos which gives me some confidence.

Quote:
I know it's tempting to drive it away, esp. since it started so easily. What is the TB history? How old and when last changed?
IIRC the front timing belt was replaced "just before" the car was bought by me in ~2007. So that would make the front belt ~15 years old, with ~10,000 on it. I certainly do plan to replace it prior to starting it. My concern though is torquing the crankshaft bolt to the ~400 ft. lbs. that some of the D24 Gurus claim.

Our own v8volvo posted recently to the D24 mailing list that cleaning the bolt and clamping surface (very well), and using lite oil on the head and threads could result in applying lesser torque with more of that torque going to tightening the bolt, instead of overcoming friction requiring more (and more) torque. This makes sense but I can't help but feel that as a small dude I may not be able to get the required torque on the bolt and risk destroying the engine. I have the crankshaft counter hold (9995187) tool and the 27mm wrench extension (9995188) tool. So I guess I use those, plus a 1/2" breaker bar, with a 6' or so long pipe for more leverage. Any thoughts on that?

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel