View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg View Post
Wow, it's been another 3 years! The forum tells me I last logged in today, 03-31-2020. The car is in the same situation as it was before. But this time I have 2 plastic bins full of tools and fluids, a FSM, and (possibly) a helper. The plan is the same as before, get the hood open, take an inventory, check fluids, bar the engine over, replace the battery, etc.
Good to see you again!

This time we'll try to hold you to it.

Sounds like a good plan and look forward to hearing how it goes getting it back on the road. Keep us posted with photos and updates. That's a good way (for me at least) to keep project momentum going.

As noted in the discussion a few years ago -- but even more critical now that additional time has passed -- the viability of the timing belts (front belt most importantly) would be a serious question due to age. If it were me, with a front cam belt that is at best 16 years old and maybe older based on what you wrote before, I wouldn't even engage the starter until after changing that belt. Spinning the engine over by hand with a wrench would not be risky but you would hate to do anything else and have that belt break and trash the engine. Lots of stories on here of folks resurrecting old cars that got running very nicely but then bit the dust mere days later due to an ancient timing belt failing. The belts are really only trustworthy up to about 7-8 years, maybe 10 years at the most. Visual inspection doesn't tell you much.

I suffered tragic engine damage in my 745 TD a few winters ago due to risking it with a belt I knew was questionable due to age, ruined the camshaft and cylinder head on an otherwise great-running healthy motor. Had to overhaul the entire top end, what a waste of time and good parts. I'm still mad at myself about it! In my case the culprit was a belt with low miles but a lot of years on it, including time spent sitting. Not unlike your case. The belt "looked" fine, right up until it snapped with no warning..... So again, beware.