View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
I could not get the fuel system to work with the in-tank pump, I could not pull fuel through it for some reason. So I went to drop the tank to change the sender/fuel pickup to a diesel unit..
Sorry for this off-topic question Anders, in your case do you also need to change/swap the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster to make it work properly with the `new` diesel-specific sending unit that you just installed? Is the fuel gauge part in the cluster also diesel-specific, partly or in any way?

(I`m just trying to figure out what to do with my ``once gasser then td- swapped`` 745 car`s annoying fuel gauge. It doesnt work correctly, it actually works the opposite way: showing empty when full... and vice versa; or not showing anything at all, until either fully full or fully empty. )

I do have four full clusters from other 700 cars,
one of them is from a 146k 1987 780 gasser v6 Bertone, the other is from a 242k 740 gasser appr 1985-88, and I have a cluster from a factory TD 1985 740. ((And I have the cluster from the 442k TD which belongs to my daily car--I DONT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT IT HAS THE CLUSTER FROM THE GASSER 1986 740 B230FT OR NOT. MAYBE IT IS FROM THE DONOR 85 TD CAR-- but I think I can see an orange wire that sits in the third spot of one electrical main joint which is glowplug related so I think the cluster is NOT from the donor td car and it simply got the glow feature created by v8.)

These 4 instr clusters look Very similar but have differences in wiring and solder connections are at various spots But the fuel gauge part looks identical in almost all of these clusters. I thought of swapping the fuel gauge part and see. But the secret may be in the fuel tank sender unit differences of a TD car versus a Gasser car?
Thank you for reading. tyt sending your ideas if too busy with the nice build. Sorry for the offtopic question again.

Update. Oh, I realized your build is not a 700 but a 200 car.

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-05-2020 at 12:30 PM.