View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicori View Post
I cannot be sure about the fluid as I do not know if transmission oil looks like motor oil.
Being a diesel, the motor oil turns black very soon after the oil change. Manual transmission (M46, 4+OD) should be ATF type F, red in color, or SAE 30w, golden in color (darker brown if very old). Neither transmission fluid will be as black as the motor oil.

Quote:
It is very very greasy around the oil sensor .
That is actually a good clue. Tells us it might be from:
1. (most common) Leaking vacuum pump o-ring gasket
2. Leaking valve cover gasket
3. Leaking head gasket (common head gasket leak location around #3 cylinder-- just under the vacuum pump).

Quote:
I remember having removed the relief valve of the oil pump (clapet de décharge in French, Im not sure about the English) , I did not change the gasket . It s very greasy underneath.
Yes, another possible leak location

Quote:
When I pull out the dipstick , I can sea a little drop on the top of it, but that’s it. It is so strange!!
If the car is on level ground, and you checked the dipstick after the engine has been off for over 10 minutes, then you are down about 2 litres, getting in the danger zone.

Quote:
I ll try to do some cleaning and spot the leak properly!
Great idea; that is your best approach at this point. Clean well the engine so you will more easily be able to see where the leak(s) is coming from. Remember that usually the leaking oil flows from top to bottom, and the wind will blow it from front to rear.