View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 01:20 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Im on a camping trip to disassemble a td car and would need quick advice whether or not I should keep the rear.
Is it worth the hassle, and, is it really diesel specific (OR other 700 models also used it)? I would need to know, ASAP. Thank you!

The car is a crusty rusty 1985 740 sedan with AT.
I took my time and currently about half way there to lift the unit.

Remind me of the keeper bits , please.

I planned to take entire engine with wires and bits, rad, shroud and some mounts, AC system for the pipes and compr (system holding charge),
tranny and piping from ZF, the TD instr cluster. IDK, what else? Probably the fuel filler neck, if i have the time.
And drive shafts too (will mark them).

What about crossmember? Im planning to keep it as a whole unit. And with the springs from TD but idk if i should keep the strut tubes of the front Macpherson.
Is it any special for the d24t? Or gassers used it too, same unit?

What about rear diff ...again.....? Advice needed.
For the gear ratios idk whether or not I should keep it. Is it a 3.54? Again, IDK. I can`t seem to locate the (missing) label.

Car is a 1985 sedan, a `factory turbodiesel` car.

Sorry for the confusion,
I`m typing on low battery. Placed a spraycan of brake cleaner for the PA bears next to my pillow, between the seats.
Yes, I`m spending the nigh in the car. Chilling in the flat wagon trunk. Lol.

What about the d24 factory thin swaybars. Are they keepers because d24t specific? (Prob aren`t worth keeping)

What about the driver seat height lifter in the bottom unit? Would it transfer to a pass seat? I`ve done that in my d24 240.

What about other parts that I`m not thinking of but important? I`m sure im missing something. I`m keeping the diesel battery tray and airbox unit too.

I removed and kept the throttle cable, etc, and the unusable engine harness, only for reference.

There is no clutch pedal assembly to keep , it is an auto car.

What about the shaft, is it dieselspecific too? I`d say it is. From tranny to differential is it d24(t)- specific? OR , gassers used the same? I guess: NO.

ZF linkage is not diesel specific, right? Prob all ZF trannies share same linkage parts.
IDK, so I`m keeping it. I mean, under the shifter itself, below the car. I will keep the rods too, obviously. And ZF tranny pipes.

Question:
how long can a ZF "roll" 'safely without tranny trouble"? IF towed on rearwheels?
By distance or/and by time, what can it survive? If known to be bad, I won`t keep the ZF then... unless i should bc it is D specific(?).

What else? Idk im tired now at 2.30am. Did all preps for liftoff in 6hrs... unfortunately, alone.

I`d appreciate a quick response!

I`m 200miles out in big mountains and it`s gotta be something *again.
This POS gtd injector set im not lucky with. Another one gave up on my trip and started knocking rattling.
This is the third of six within less than a few thousand miles. IDK why am I so unlucky with it? Will throw them out, install my old 6 till i find a good rebuilder for my multiple sets.

How far can i drive w a knocking injector? Car does 50-70 MPH, no problem, but I can hear the injector (I`m also set with a 1-ton trailer + the parts on the way home. I will take it easy! M46......
On the way here it was fine but PA has mtns!!!! Often, very low speeds I hope I will make it back to New York.

Advice welcome... Day will start at 7AM, to see which inj is acting up. Then grab the sedan parts and load everything up. I have extra injs with me: my old, worn but known good, smokey injectors. IDK if I should waste time dropping one in. I`m so far out in the woods!

Update.

It is 5am here and i slept 15minutes finally. Freaking coffee! In 2hrs the project continues. I won`t get answers early today, I know..... a reply here is hard to get... also bc it is Sunday in PA, USA and Sunday everywhere in the world . It`s very early in the west coast, too.
So... no bears came at night. Finally there is daylight... Time to start bricking again soon.

Some info for now:

The car is tan inside and has pluss seats in "yellow or mustard, IDK what color.

Horribly dirty but so comfy! Interior was gone long yrs ago.
Car is totally in sad condition, became junkyard "quality" -- caused by elements.

Think of: sunlight exposure, perhaps some neglect involved too, water damage, mold, rain, snow, other leaks, dirt, even plenty of garbage inside.
And tons of serious underbody rust. When I say rust, this has rust!

ALSO, maybe an elderly owner who didn`t have the time, the energy, or both, to deal with keeping this TD on the road or even transfering it under a roof.
And we have to mention the strict PA inspection rules too as a strong factor in why the car ended up `here`.

I`ll make sure to contact him/her/them, to share my progress once the engine gets cleaned up, hopefully running and back to healthy life again!

Unsavable body except maybe a trunk lid and a few doors. No time, no space, no interest.
Car ended up in this condition not from the road use but from being parked, parked not on concrete. (I think.)

Yeah

Last edited by RedArrow; 02-14-2021 at 11:29 AM.