Thread: good oil ?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
thanks for your valued input V8VOLVO
the manufacture lists 5w30 fully synthetic oil which i have now purchased .
only thing missing on there data sheet is VW 502-00 or 505-00 codes . but the cheaper 5w30 fully synthetic also recommend by same manufacture has these data codes its 20% cheaper
it confused me now but take it this oil is fine the premium one ive bought for your info its - MILLERS XF FULLY SYNTHETIC E.C.O. 5w30 long life change oil at 7500 KLM
Hold the phone here, Are you saying 5 30 is recommended for d24tic?

I am currently running gulf racing 10w 40w fully synth and thought 10 40 was recommended?

Would a 5 30 grade allow sufficient viscosity cold for the hydraulic tappets? i am intrigued as some of the best of the best oil ranges come in 5-30

On Oils....

If money is no object i would always go for millers nanodrive range. (vw,audi, skoda team used) Rally car oil so made to take abuse. I ran it in my old alfa and it literally never used a drop of it ALL year. Not one top up with enthusiastic driving.
Its meant to have tech to burn off less like all synthetics so makes sense or it was a brilliant jtd engine... anyway i digress . It made for a very smooth engine and improved mpg/ power delivery so i liked it alot. But it is pricey pricey.

I use as my go to the gulf racing that is a little cheaper (but not too cheap for the aston race team ) but ester rich and about £50 for 5l. My brother likes it in his cars too and i Always run it in my 205 gti's so i can speak from experience with it.

Modern diesel vehicles with dpf systems etc can not deal with alot of these additives apparently so modern engines loose out. My old d5 had to take a lower grade millers for this reason with less additives.

This old engine can so use them to help you

Manufacturers spec is often a step backwards as its a safe minimum quality option beyond the basic starting spec. A factory recommended oil will likely have very little additional additives as its a playing it safe/ cost effective option. That said there is nothing wrong with oe oil if changed regular.

You still want to exceed it ideally in my opinion though because you can and it helps protect your engine/ increase drivability.

This may be rubbish as i never fact checked it but i was told they ran the fabia vrs rally car for a few minutes with the oil dropped using nanodrive. If that is true. That is exactly what you want, oil that is there when its not

I use a good oil supplier for all my cars and they keep me in the loop on the latest oils/ developments, i am only speaking from my own experience.

My 2p

Mick

Last edited by ukvolvo; 04-10-2021 at 09:39 PM.