View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

What makes this more rare than the leftover d24t cars here is the factory intercooler setup, being a 900 series, and obviously that it`s a right hand side vehicle. And a wagon...
Pretty darn cool. I would say, go for it.. nice pandemic project. All I managed to find was some surface rust near the tailgate and at the right front door but looks like this car still has it all, interior is simple but at least not in ruin (as it is often not the case) and is kind of neat under the hood as well.

In my opinion it stood so much because nobody really knew around there how to get it well set. It already probably ran not-so-well prior the owner`s death but then it got even more `neglected` and ended up getting ``saved`` by getting parked which we know isnt too good of a treat for a car to have. Save #2 would be to get the timing belt done by an enthusiast with proper tools and knowledge, real-time experience on this specific engine.
Those people are not so easy to find but I bet it is easier there than here, due to the fact that in Uk and Europe the LT vehicles are still up and running okay. Also, the here nonexistent 900TD models kept this engine manufactured&sold in EU all the way into 1996/97 which is ten years extra compared to what happened here (d24/d24t only sold in USA till 1986).
And in EU the vw family had huge variety with many many engine options for every model including the diesels and turbodiesels SO the mechanics who still know their retro stuff must be not-so-rare!

Also, good to see a `965` RH vehicle with manual tranny. I hope it won`t end again in the wrong hands, or worse, scrapped.... (just bc it smokes `too much`)

Is it hard to keep these on the road there? $$$$$? Road tax for this kind of vehicle is probably higher, I assume.
But for the driving experience and the relatively low maintenance this engine will need (once fixed well), it is probably well worth it. And, it is a very practical vehicle being a wagon it hauls ass around town, or in the farms or even through mountains.

We all know they sound great too and fun to own. I`ll keep an eye on the ebay listing and hope the new owner finds this forum to use good advice on how to keep it running healthy. The current bids are from ten different bidders so the price will climb substantially higher than 1300gbp. One needs to plan on a full susp refurb from ground up, prob all brake cyls, bushings and all rubber parts that wore by car standing motionless, and the typical leaky inj pump is probably there too. Timing belt, waterpump, IP belt and valve adjustment just to name a few, then tires etc as always... None of them are super hard jobs but many DO require d24 tools that are also not-so-easy to find. Still, the new owner will have a very special vehicle.

Last edited by RedArrow; 03-07-2021 at 10:37 PM.