View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 1984 240 dl wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Yes, look in the "Diesel Engine and Drivetrain" section.

Test dry first, then pour 1/4 teaspoon motor oil in each cylinder, retest "wet," compare. GET THE NUMBERS FOR EACH CYLINDER FOR EACH TEST.
If the engine has been sitting several months or years (looks like may be your case?) the piston rings can dry out and not seal well until oil is introduced to help them seal again. Results in (dry test) low compression.

We will try to help as much as possible. WARNING: Major time and effort investment!

Yes that is the correct expectation, glad you recognize that!

General Observation: You mention your mechanics. Do they have plenty of experience on these D24 engines? Or (2nd best) on VW diesel engines from the 70s-early 90s? Otherwise, we can almost guarantee they will destroy the engine, lacking the necessary (and getting harder to source) special tools, and equally necessary special knowledge. Sadly, have seen it happen too many times.

thank you very much ngoma for all this helpful informative advice
i think a major part of my problem over the ten plus years that i have had this car is that i have not been bringing it to mechanics with d24 experience
i really hope that the engine has not been destroyed
but i guess thats really what i am desperately in search of by coming here to this forum....
really hoping that there might be someone on here located in los angeles that could work on my car or that someone can recommend a good mechanic anywhere in the los angeles area that has the experience and speciality tools necessary to get this car back up and running well

keeping my fingers crossed that someone on here sees these posts and can offer some assistance