View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM

Vehicle: 1984 240 dl wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Car looks mint and body is sharp! Wagons are very practical, I`d say keep it :-)
In the worst case scenario the engine needs an overhaul. A no-rust manual wagon really deserves it, but only if necessary.
Everything probably must be confirmed from the start (about current condition).

Share as many details as you can (in this case the more the better) about what you see/hear/experience when you start/drive the vehicle. Don`t use starting fluid sprays, rather check timing as step one. Ever found oil in water or vice versa, in the time of your ownership?
There is a d24 timing tool etc kit available on ebay as we speak (not mine).

Hopefully the forum can help you to troubleshoot and also help you find parts, the needed d24 tools, maybe even d24 owners near where you live.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Diese...YAAOSwuDlgHzMq

Welcome to the forum!

thank you for your reply redarrow
my general experience with starting this car is that it will take several minutes or cranking it over and over again and sometimes after as much as ten minutes (sometimes more sometimes less) after sitting trying over and over again eventually it may turn over and start
this is after giving the glow plugs the right amount of time to warm up
but it is always a real struggle
cold weather seems to exacerbate this experience
on a warm summer day if its been sitting in the sun sometimes it will start right up normally
as for overheating - i will generally be fine on surface streets - but often when i bring it on the freeway and get it up to speed after ten fifteen minutes i will watch as the temperate slowly starts to climb
if i go up any significant hill at freeway speed it really struggles to make it and will almost certainly overheat
this is all after checking the water and oil and making sure they are at proper levels
i have never personally used starting fluid sprays but i believe various mechanics have during troubleshooting
i dont believe that i have ever found oil in the water or vice versa
thank you for alerting me to the availability of the timing tools on ebay
i personally have almost no mechanical experience with engines
so i dont know if this would be of benefit to me
would it be something that i would bring with me to a mechanic??
is it the only timing tools kit that works with this engine??

thank you again for your assistance
i am really hoping someone on here is located in los angeles and has experience repairing these engines