View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Suggest you study the sticky on hard starting. Go thru the entire list systematically before you let the mechanic condemn the engine. Several of the conditions for hard starting are simple, yet commonly overlooked.

What were the compression test readings? How was it performed? Wet or dry? How long had the engine been sitting before the test?

Alternative fuels:

Good quality tested biodiesel is well tolerated by the D24 as is. May degrade some older injection pump seals and fuel hoses. Lighter/less soot, more pleasant odor is a bonus.

Used cooking oil is possible, I ran it successfully for several years. Requires two-tank system (heated 2nd tank, heated fuel hoses, heated 2nd filter, switching valves, etc.). In addition to the extra on-car equipment, it requires the means to collect the messy oil and filter/dewater it to the level required to not damage the engine.

Think hard about this if you personally don't have good mechanical skills, understanding of IDI diesel technology, fabrication skills, extensive tool collection. And the space to safely and conveniently store and filter/dewater the oil.

I never made my own biodiesel (had kids in the house so didn't want to risk working with methanol) so can't comment on that.