View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

For what it's worth, my wagon has had the front muffler (resonator) replaced with a straight section of pipe. It was done prior to my ownership and has been this way since I have had it. No noticeable difference in noise level versus a full stock exhaust system, maybe a tiny bit more growl audible if you are standing outside the rear of the car, but not enough to hear it from inside even if you have the windows down. The stock rear muffler is still in place. It seems like that is the one that does most of the noise suppression. Removing the rear muffler does make the exhaust much louder.

I don't know why it was done on my car, could have been for a restriction concern but the front muffler seems to be the one that rusts out first also, water vapor in the exhaust may be more likely to condense there.

Bottom line, if you are considering removing the front muffler and want to keep stock exhaust noise level you can probably do it. You could also replace it with a straight through (glasspack type) muffler if you want to eliminate the restriction but keep something that contributes to noise reduction in that location.